header image

How to Register Your Camera Drone Outside of Thailand Under the New RPA Regulation

Posted by: | December 10, 2017 | No Comment |
CAAT Thailand

Thai RPA Regulation

In 2017, Thailand passed a new law specifying all camera drones must register under “The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand” (CAAT) before it is allow to be operate within the kingdom. There had been many blog posts relating to this matter but few were written by people who actually went through the process. As a law binding tourist, I actually jumped through all the hoops in past months and finally had CAAT accepted my application. I am writing this to shed some light onto how you can register your drone outside of Thailand.

There are actually 2 parts under the law:

  1. You must register your camera drone with CAAT.
  2. You must register the controller (frequency) of your camera drone with “Office of The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission” (NBTC).

Lucky, you do not need to go through the registration process twice. All you need to do is register your drone with CAAT, CAAT will forward your controller information to NBTC for registration.

What do you need?

  1. Insurance — an insurance policy (preferably issue by an insurance company in Thailand) covering property/personal damage that result from you operating the drone. I got mine for THB3000 a year plus THB1000 handling fee. The insurance company will email you a soft copy of the policy and send the hard copy to any address within Thailand. For tourist, you can have it send to your friend/hotel/resort.
  2. Copy of your passport (personal information page) with the signed statement “I assure that I have the ability to control unmanned aircraft perfectly” written or printed on it.
  3. If you had been to Thailand before, copy of your passport (immigration stamp page) — this is not an actual required document but including this will significantly speed up you application process (see update 07/18).
  4. Photograph of your camera drone showing your drone in completed and ready to fly state and its serial number.
  5. CAAT form set can be download at https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/27220
    • An CAAT UAV registration application form.
    • An CAAT Consent form.
    • An CAAT Self-declaration form.

How to submit your registration?

Since you are outside of Thailand, you only have 2 choices:

  1. Through an agent — by delegation using a “Power of Attorney”, you can appoint an agent in Thailand to check your paperwork, making sure forms are properly filled in and all required documents are present. He should also submit the form on your behalf, follow up on the application process and send you the final certificate. My insurance agent is willing to provide this service for a fee of THB1000. I am not recommending anything but having an agent proof reading your submission is not a bad idea provided your chosen agent is in fact experienced in this matter.
  2. By internet — Yes, CAAT had updated their website, allowing internationals to submit application through their web portal. I had not personally tried it but if you want to give it a go, the URL is https://www.caat.or.th/uav/index.php

How long until I receive my registration?

CAAT registration process usually takes 2 to 3 months. Which means if you want to have your camera drone properly register, you must start the whole process at least 4 months before arriving in Thailand.

Is this a one time registration?

No. According to CAAT website, you must renew your registration every 2 years.

What if I have more than one drone?

You will need an insurance policy for each of your drone and you will also need to register each drone individually with CAAT — much like having two cars.

— Dec/2017

Update (10/18) : FINALLY! Just received my CAAT Certificate today (signed 01/10/2018) — 10 months after initial submission of all documents. Oh well, at least I can now legally fly my drones in Thailand and just in time for my upcoming December trip 🙂

Update (07/18) : CAAT is still behind schedule. In fact, they are now so overwhelm with applications that they start asking insurance companies to help them digitize applicant information. In addition, they also start short cutting their own procedure and bypassing “internal pre-approval process” from immigration department and accept that you are not on Thailand’s immigration “black list” if you can scan a copy of your passport page with Thailand immigration stamp on it.

Update (05/18) : CAAT is way behind in processing applications … oh well … what do you expect from an “asking for trouble” law? They are only up to Oct/17 applications for now.

under: Nudist Travel

Leave a response

You must be logged in to post a comment.